Stig S. Bakken wrote:
The goal here is to assure smooth transition from PHP 4 to PHP 5 for
PEAR users.  To me that means not having to use version_compare() or
have different versions of files for PHP 4 and 5.

I think you slightly mix up PEAR developers and PEAR users but I completely agree with you.

* E_ALL not including E_STRICT

This kills the E_STRICT feature for both PEAR developers and PEAR users. More and more people will be using PEAR, who is still going to be able to use E_STRICT? Almost nobody.

I can live with this solution but I find it a pitty to kill the feature before it is born.

> * "var" equivalent to "public" (ie not throwing E_STRICT)

I'd prefer this for now.

And before it gets forgotten: PEAR is not the only set of code which has to retain backward compatibility for a while. It's just a prominent example.

- Chris