Before we get too far offtopic ( fgetcsv() ) let me just quickly summarize my
position. I think it's great that multi-byte support exists in PHP, we have
mbstring, iconv and recode extensions that all help make PHP work with
multibyte strings.
As with most things with PHP the user has a choice of whether or not to enable
this functionality depending on their present and future needs. By putting
this functionality into core/standard this choice is taken away more over it
penalizes (rather significantly) every single user of affected functionality.
That is what I'd like to avoid.

Without mbstring enabled, you would not be able to effectively work with
multibyte characters. Therefor even if fgetcsv() would work as you may expect
with multibyte strings, that data would not be manageable in most cases.
Which is why I propose that multibyte version of fgetcsv() be placed inside
ext/mbstring as mb_fgetcsv().

Ilia