At 11:22 PM 1/12/2004 +0100, Pierre-Alain Joye wrote:
On Mon, 12 Jan 2004 23:58:30 +0200
Andi Gutmans <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> We are in a feature freeze now so that we can
> get RC1 out of the door hopefully by the end of the month, and it just
> doesn't make sense to redesign the whole thing now.

Good news :)

But I really would like to talk about some critical problems before :-)

Pierre,
This is no news. We've been talking about it for two months. If you want to contribute in fixing the bugs then please do so, the earlier the better (and earlier than now would have been even better ;)

Not that I'm the right person or any kind of ZE2 expert but my thought
is that "we" are going far too fast. Or in other word it is far too
early to claim we are ready for a RC1, keeping in mind the meaning of
a"RC" release.

I think the major issues are a few engine bugs which we are looking at. If you have any others then feel free to bring them up, with patches even better.
However, it's not that we're going fast. We're actually crawling it's just that very few people are making an effort to fix the remaining critical bugs. No major PHP release has taken this long, and the previous ones were complete rewrites.

Just so you are aware, there has not been one PHP release (nor major nor minor) that hasn't gone out with LOTS of bugs (and I'm not talking RC here). Bugs are fixed all the time and most bugs aren't encountered by most people. PHP 4 was in no better state when it was RC'ed (or even released). It was actually worse off. Things are already running pretty well.

Anyway, I need to go to sleep now.
Andi