> >>XPath cant be the answer to everything. Although it would work, XPath
> >>is
> >
> >sure.  but it can solve most of the simple problems quite efficiently,
> >like getting immediate children.
>
> Seems to take a good bit of the Simple out of SimpleXML, IMHO.

So is generically processing child elements.  Besides, if there is one
technology worth learning when it comes to processing XML its Xpath.
Its XML's SQL/regular expressions, draw what analogies to string processing
that you will, but I don't see:

$results = simplexml_query($element, '/child::node()');
foreach ($results as $result) {
        echo $result;
}

Signifigantly more complex then:

$results = $element->getChildren();
foreach ($results as $result) {
        echo $result;
}

And it comes with the advantage of being a *signifigantly* more
powerful abstraction.

-Sterling