Andi Gutmans wrote:

Hey,

Marcus didn't mean it adds complexity to the code but to PHP. It's obviously quite easy to implement this interface; implementation was never a problem.
I don't really care too much if we have such an interface or not, although I do think that it just makes things complex and I doubt almost anyone will have a need for it.

Personally as PHP developer (as opposed to internals developer) I am not in favor of having an interface, because I want to know that

try {
  // ...
} catch (Exception $e) {
  // ...
}

will catch *all* exceptions thrown by any libraries I choose to use, etc. Mixing the interface means requiring PHP developers to catch() on the interface everywhere or risk having uncaught exceptions when a 3rd party package they are using decides to throw IException implementing classes instead. Maybe telling people (developers) to use the IException everywhere is ok, but is not what people are expecting right now.

Hans