> On Nov 17, 2019, at 17:28, Mike Schinkel <m...@newclarity.net> wrote:
>
> If we are going to open up arrays for enhancement in PHP 8 I would ask that
> we seriously consider addressing the various differences between a built-in
> array and an instance of ArrayObject and/or the related associated interfaces
> such that the objects can be used interchangeably with a built-in array

I completely agree. I would love to see anything implementing ArrayAccess able
to be used in any of the array functions.

This might be a way-out-in-left-field concept, but if we went down this path,
perhaps a PHP array could become an object internally (i.e., ArrayObject)
without changing the way it works in existing code? Then, if/when generics are
introduced, a PHP array would already be a class to which a generic type
parameter could be applied.

-Ben