On Sun, Jan 19, 2020 at 10:15 PM Andrea Faulds <a...@ajf.me> wrote:

> Hi Nikita,
>
> Nikita Popov wrote:
> >
> > Since nullable types have been available since PHP 7.1, having a required
> > parameter after an optional one is increasingly likely a bug rather than
> an
> > intentional workaround, so I think it would be good to throw a warning
> for
> > this case.
> >
> Wouldn't it be trivial to special-case `= NULL` here to not cause a
> warning, or to cause an E_NOTICE instead of an E_WARNING? That would
> make this less annoying for old code. I don't know whether I think this
> worth doing or not, I just want to point out the possibility.

I like this idea and have updated the pull request to ignore the "Type
$param = null" case, so the deprecation should now just catch the
"definitely" incorrect signatures.

So to summarize the current state:

function test($foo = "bar", $baz) {}
// Deprecated: Required parameter $baz follows optional parameter $foo

function test(Abc $foo = null, $baz) {}
// No warnings, works fine!

With that adjustment made, are there any further concerns about this change?

Regards,
Nikita