I'd definitely agree on returning `int` instead of `integer`.

PHP allows both `class integer` and `class resource`, so `int` (plus
documenting exact return values for examples, as Nikita mentioned) would be
useful to prevent ambiguity.

Also, it'd be nice to have `null` return the lowercase string null instead of
uppercase.

get_canonical_type() is my weak preference. I'd also considered suggesting
get_class_or_type(),
but that seemed misleading since the value of get_class_or_type(2) would be
different from gettype(2).

This would save some time and make it easier to write better messages
debugging, syslogging, throwing exceptions for unexpected values, etc.

- Tyson