Thank you guys for your insights!

You pretty much confirmed my fears about the SPL extension.

The reason I was wondering about it was mostly for understanding where
one would put Classes, Interfaces and Traits that should be essential
parts of the language.
F.ex. it seems the Countable interface should have been in the core
together with Traversable and Serializable, especially since count()
knows about Countable and is part of the core.

It seems there are only 3 classes that are part of the core: Closure,
Generator and WeakReference.
And no traits, right?

Anyway, thanks again, I'm learning.
Jakob