A few thoughts:

1. I agree with the sentiment that this syntactic sugar doesn't
actually save any verbosity, so it's not really syntactic sugar at
all.

2. There appears to now be another RFC by Pavel Patapau, specifically
focused on a Guard statement as a new keyword
(https://wiki.php.net/rfc/guard_statement), which now has its separate
discussion.

3. As Thomas Lamy mentioned, I too would prefer a single keyword.
Consider the following two examples:

    function foo($bar)
    {
        if ($bar === 1)
            return;

        if ($bar === 666)
            delete_everything();
    }

    function foo($bar)
    {
        if ($bar === 1)
            return

        if ($bar === 666);
            delete_everything();
    }

Both would now be valid syntax, and IDEs would have a harder time
warning about the misplaced semicolon in the second example.  Wouldn't
be very common, but still.

4. However, this RFC is interesting to me because there be a way to
modify it to allow for less verbose refactoring, and kinda allowing
returns to bubble up like exceptions do.  I think it would only make
sense if it's a "if not null then return" type of thing.

Consider the following (a bit contrived, but I hope you get the point):

    function main_function()
    {
        $result = calculate($var);
        if ($result !== null)
            return $result;

        /* do other important stuff */
    }

    function main_function()
    {
        ifnotnullreturn calculate($var);

        /* do other important stuff */
    }

Obviously not an ideal keyword, but this is the only thing I can think
of where this type of syntactic sugar makes sense and decreases
verbosity.  Something similar can also be accomplished with exception
though.

5. Finally, I think if we start putting several returns at the same
indentation then the cognitive load increases because we can no longer
tell if a return is actually a return at a glance.

Thanks,
Peter