On Mon, Jul 27, 2020 at 5:25 PM Rowan Tommins <rowan.coll...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> A couple of months ago I revived my suggestion to make stream wrappers
> advertise HTTP/1.1 by default (full message below), and then Real Life
> intervened and I didn't raise the PR.
>
> The implementation (which is a one-character change) is now here:
> https://github.com/php/php-src/pull/5899
>
> I realise it's now rather last-minute for 8.0, so if anyone thinks it
> should have more careful thought, or an RFC, it will have to wait. If
> there are no objections, though, it would be nice to have it merged
> before the freeze.
>
> Given that it's a very small change, the RFC is probably not necessary, in
which case it's not too late, however I'd like some clarification about
what this actually offers over defaulting to 1.0. Specifically, are there
known servers which will refuse to serve 1.0 clients?  Script authors have
had the option of opting into 1.1 for some significant time now.

Basically, what's the chance of something accidentally not working due to
advertising 1.0 versus something not working due to advertising 1.1?  If
the changes are equal, I'd *personally* err in favor of status quo since
those needing 1.1 have already opted into it, those needing 1.0 may not
have.

-Sara