Hi Nikita

> > I think if it can be reasonably fixed it probably would make sense for
> > consistency and WTF-avoidance if anything.
>
> Agree. I don't think the question of whether it is useful should come into
> this, it's a matter of language consistency. There could be some leeway
> here if we say that we have plans to deprecate the "$x->y" syntax in the
> future anyway and don't want to extend it anymore -- but I don't believe we
> have such plans at the present time.

So for the sake of consistency let's merge this then. As mentioned,
the BC break should be very very small. A few people have mentioned
they didn't expect it to work but when asked again they didn't feel
strongly about it.

Unless there are objections I will merge this tomorrow. A review of
the PR would also be welcome.

Ilija