Separate response for this one, sorry for the noise:

On Tue, Jan 12, 2021, 17:35 Ilija Tovilo <tovilo.il...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Note that even minor PHP versions have historically not followed strict
> semantic versioning. If we did, most PHP features would have to be pushed
> back years given PHPs relatively slow release cycle. I don't think that's
> desirable for neither PHP developers nor maintainers.

It's perfectly fine to release a new major more frequently, if
required/worth it, but releasing breaking changes in minor versions
(intentionally and being well aware of them) only erodes the quite thin BC
trust.

In practice, no difference for myself personally, as I already pin my own
libraries to minor PHP versions,  preventing installation with PHP 8.1
nowadays, until I know it to be "safe", post-RC testing.

That perhaps is a discussion for RMs to take on.