On Tue, Mar 30, 2021 at 9:08 AM Mike Schinkel <m...@newclarity.net> wrote:

> On Mar 30, 2021, at 9:50 AM, Sara Golemon <poll...@php.net> wrote:
>
> On Tue, Mar 30, 2021 at 8:34 AM Mike Schinkel <m...@newclarity.net> wrote:
> > When you speak of NEWS, do you mean this?
> > https://github.com/php/web-news <https://github.com/php/web-news>
> >
> Negative. NEWS in all caps invariably refers to
> https://github.com/php/php-src/blob/master/NEWS which is a guaranteed
> merge conflict between branches.
>
> There are a few other places that mostly impact RMs like
> main/php_version.h and configure.ac
>

> Is there any chance the team would consider modifying the workflow a bit?

I thought about this (admittedly briefly) while replying and while I think
fixing NEWS would be... not impossible, I think the configure.ac and
php_version.h conflicts are a little more dicey.
Granted those are only a problem for RMs and we can build an escape hatch
for that.
But then conflicts in the rest of code aren't exactly uncommon, especially
in areas under heavy development like ext/opcache.
Basically, this is a hard problem and it's going to be a hard problem.

One alternative might be to switch to a pick model rather than a merge
model, but that just kicks the problem out a layer, it doesn't solve it.
What it does do is add a new opportunity for fixes to get missed.  -1 from
me on that.

-Sara