On Tue, Mar 30, 2021 at 1:21 PM Jakub Zelenka <bu...@php.net> wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 30, 2021 at 12:47 PM Mike Schinkel <m...@newclarity.net>
> wrote:
>

>> > On Mar 30, 2021, at 5:51 AM, Derick Rethans <der...@php.net> wrote:

>> > How well does that work for merging up fixes from an older bug fix
>> branch up through PHP 7.4, PHP 8.0, and then into master?
>> >
>> > Or for things like new timezone definitions, which is now automated,
>> and would then require a pointless PR?
>>
>> Accepting some PRs can be automated.  Repos can be protects on Github via
>> per-branch rules[1] where permissions and requirements can be assigned.
>>
>> PRs are actually a foundational component of GitOps[2] which is an
>> emerging best practice for managing infrastructure. It was initially for
>> Kubernetes deployments but has become recognized as being beneficial[3] for
>> automating software CI/CD[4] and other workflows.
>>

> The problem is that this is not gonna easily work with the current PHP
> workflow and merging changes up. For example currently if you merge PR to
> PHP-7.4 and then you merge PHP-7.4 to PHP-8.0, you get most of the time
> conflict in NEWS that needs to be manually resolved. We would have to make
> the bot that is able to resolve those conflicts or come up with a different
> way how to handle NEWS. However sometimes there are code conflicts as well
> which the bot cannot resolve. I think the only solution would be to stop
> merging the branches up, do PR's always against master and then just
> cherry-pick the commit to lower branches (it could be potentially done by
> bot automatically in some / most cases) but again that would require some
> changes in the NEWS handling and possibly other things.

Actually if we needed to do cherry-pick that conflicts, we would still need
PR's for lower branches like having multiple PR's for the same thing that
requires conflicting implementation (cannot be cherry-picked by bot).

Think having everything going through the PR's has certainly benefit as we
could require reviews for each PR which would be certainly good for
security. A similar worklfow is done in OpenSSL for example except it's a
bit different flow there because there are not too many fixes and changes
in lower branches.

Cheers

Jakub