Den 2021-06-28 kl. 16:52, skrev Nikita Popov:
On Mon, Jun 21, 2021 at 4:26 PM Björn Larsson <bjorn.x.lars...@telia.com <mailto:bjorn.x.lars...@telia.com>> wrote:

    Would you look on this feature in a different light if the above
    concerns about strict types and nullsafe calls could be clarified /
    solved? Or is it about the implementation with it's complexity and
    tricky edge cases?

These were just some notes on implementation details, they don't really impact my overall opinion of the RFC. I should also say that I'm not strongly opposed here, I'm just not convinced this is worthwhile :) The complexity of the feature would be rather easy to overlook if I felt the functionality was important.

    I myself think one should take into account that this is a feature
    that would make PHP stand out even more. Not being a follower of
    other languages here :-)

Heh, it's the other way around for me: This just makes me more apprehensive. Is there some special property of PHP that makes this feature more relevant to us than other languages? All other mainstream languages do well without this feature, so why do we need it?

Regards,
Nikita

Well, I think the weak spot in the RFC is the motivation why do we need it.

OTOH, Larry posted the "The case for partials and pipes in PHP":
- https://peakd.com/hive-168588/@crell/the-case-for-partials-and-pipes-in-php

Two things caught my eye there, namely the Health check & HTTP pipeline
and also the Scalar thing. Think it would have been good if these had been
part of the discussion phase and also highlighted a little in the RFC itself.

So do you think these are good motivations on why we need it?

Regards //Björn L