Hey Nikita,

On Wed, Jun 30, 2021 at 11:32 AM Nikita Popov <nikita....@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi internals,
>
> I have opened voting on https://wiki.php.net/rfc/deprecations_php_8_1. The
> vote closes on 2021-07-14.
>
> This RFC is a collection of various deprecation suggestions from different
> people. Each deprecation is voted separately, and should be considered on
> its own merit.
>
> Most deprecations should be uncontroversial, but there are some more
> contentious ones as well: See https://externals.io/message/113657 for
> additional discussion.

I'm totally **for** deprecating `get_*class()` implementations when called
without arguments, but I feel like many folks are voting "no" because:

 * there's no 1:1 migration suggestion in that section
 * the section states " `get_class()` is approximately the same as
`self::class`", without saying what "approximately" means

I can imagine that removing `get_called_class()` could also yield some
engine improvements in future, as there's also less "magic information
about caller scope" to be retained.

Marco Pivetta

http://twitter.com/Ocramius

http://ocramius.github.com/