On Thu, 25 Nov 2021 at 20:58, Dan Ackroyd <dan...@basereality.com> wrote:

> For the people who are currently voting 'no', I'd ask are you really
> sure that the amount of work adding "#[AllowDynamicProperties]" to the
> classes you want to keep having dynamic properties is really that much
> time compared to the time that would be saved by having PHP itself
> give an error when a user accidentally creates a dynamic property?

No, I don't. I see the vote as a "boiling frog" moment and a protest vote
in reaction to other changes which have had a bigger impact on
backwards-compatibility.

---
I get the impression a lot of comments on this mailing list are from people
who know other languages, would like to work with another language, and
since they (have to?) use PHP would like PHP to be another language.

I find that fascinating. And I'd be well up for having a round-table
discussion and recording a podcast on it.
---

PHP fills a big niche. it's not the niche that most people on this list
seem to want it to fill, but it does. And the results people accomplish
with PHP - not in spite of PHP, but because of PHP - are impressive.

There are unresolved discussions that have been going on since at least
2019 [1] about direction and what PHP should become. With the formation of
the PHP Foundation I hope these can be revisited.

Peter