> On Jan 7, 2022, at 1:56 PM, Rowan Tommins <rowan.coll...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On 07/01/2022 13:47, Robert Korulczyk wrote:
>> I'm not really sure why would you not want this - what is the point of
>> marking method as interface implementation, if it is not reflected by type
>> system in actual execution?
>

> It's really quite simple: I don't want traits to tell me how I "must" use
> them, but am quite happy for them to document how I "can" use them.

About any of these someone could say "I don't want to be told..."

"...I must implement an abstract method"
"...I must implement all the methods in an interface"
"...I must pass all arguments declared in a function"
"...I must pass arguments that are of the type that were type-hinted"
"...I cannot extend a final class"
"...I cannot access a private property outside the class"
"...I cannot change a readonly property after it has been initialized"

And yet specifying appropriate constraints for a specific use-case has its
benefits.  I'm sure you can see benefit to the above constraints so it is
strange to me you cannot see the benefit of traits that would constrain their
uses to requiring an interface.

If it were possible to specify that a trait required an interface then I don't
envision anyone other than those who need bespoke traits would do so, and those
are not likely traits you would want to use anyway because they could be
changed by the developer when their use-case evolved.

#jmtcw #fwiw

-Mike