Hey Jakub,

On Wed, Jan 26, 2022 at 1:58 PM Jakub Zelenka <bu...@php.net> wrote:

> > PHP 9.0, likely a few years away at this point, is our next opportunity
> > to make significant breaking changes.
> >

> Maybe we should give users a bit more time for adoption and consider major
> version bump when PHP 8 has got at least 80% and the PHP 5 usage is close
> to zero. I know that it's hard to get exact numbers but estimates like [1]
> or even packagist stats like [2] (I'm aware that not every project uses
> composer but still better than nothing) could give us some idea. I'm mainly
> worried that we could introduce too many breaking changes that make
> migrations (especially for old projects) much harder.
>
> [1] https://w3techs.com/technologies/details/pl-php
> [2] https://blog.packagist.com/php-versions-stats-2021-1-edition/

A more updated statistic:
https://stitcher.io/blog/php-version-stats-january-2022

Continuously generated output at https://packagist.org/php-statistics

I also maintain a number of PHP 5 (closed-source) projects that don't use
packagist nor composer, but that's really just their problem, as they will
need to upgrade to ~7.0.0 first anyway.
Also, my customers are gently asked to sign a piece of paper in which I'm
not responsible for their bad security awareness.
For those projects, should it be needed, Zend provides commercial support
as a "OMG WE DON'T ACTUALLY WANT TO PAY TO ACTUALLY IMPROVE OUR CRITICAL
INFRASTRUCTURE" last resort.

Greets,

Marco Pivetta

http://twitter.com/Ocramius