Máté Kocsis <kocsismat...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Yes, this upgrade path also makes sense to me, and I'm happy to go with
> it if others don't disagree!

For the functions that are having new separate methods added, not
deprecating them immediately makes upgrading easier. When upgrading
from one version of PHP to the next, it is best if you can run the
same code on both versions, without any deprecation notices going off.

Would leaving the current versions in place and working actually cause
any maintenance issues?

If not, then we could just move really slowly on deprecating them. We
could deprecate them at some point in the 9.x release cycle and remove
them in 10.0.

The RFC says:

> Impact analysis: 1 out of the 2000 most popular PHP packages rely on calling
> session_set_save_handler() with 6 or more arguments.

I doubt analysing github is going to give a useful measure of the
impact of this RFC. Functions like session_set_save_handler are going
to be used in custom code written for a company than in shared
libraries.

cheers
Dan
Ack