Ben Ramsey in php.internals (Tue, 18 Jul 2023 16:23:02 -0500):

>> WhatÂ’s the process for changing this? Do release managers need to change
>> the way we bundle the packages, or does something need to be merged into
>> the PHP-8.1 branch?
>
>Does anyone know the answer to this question?

Not me. But this is becoming an urgent question now that the EOL of
OpenSSL 1.1.1 is around the corner.

Comparable question: will PHP 8.3 be built with VS17 (Visual Studio 2022)?
PHP 8.3.0 beta 1 is still built with VS16 (Visual Studio 2019):
https://windows.php.net/qa/
--
Jan