This is very interesting. It's the first time I see recommendations
pro Bcrypt and against Argon2. Even Owasp recommends Argon2 over
Bcrypt [1].

I am not a cryptography expert so I believe that if there is a
discussion of which one is better PHP shouldn't change things for now,
so that totally answers the question of why the default is still
bcrypt.

Thank you both for replying.

[1]
https://cheatsheetseries.owasp.org/cheatsheets/Password_Storage_Cheat_Sheet.html