btw if we come to some consensus to my php2utf8.php script is actually
worthwhile to expand on, i can volunteer to add more encodings (SJIS,
BIG5, anything supported by mbstring),
but it wouldn't surprise me if a better approach exist and the script
should be rewritten entirely~

>add that what's special about UTF-8 isn't that it's "fixed-endian".

should've added this to the last post, but the "zend.detect_unicode"
ini-option is specifically to scan for BOMs, and BOMs are
significantly less useful in fixed-endian encodings (like UTF8) than
bi-endian encodings (like UTF16/UTF32) ^^