2023年11月29日(水) 8:07 Hans Henrik Bergan <divinit...@gmail.com>:

> @youkidearitai right now the code specifically deals with
> - UTF8: removing UTF8 BOM and removing `declare(encoding='UTF-8');
> - UTF16LE/UTF16BE/UTF32LE/UTF32BE: converting to UTF8 removing the BOM
> and removing declare(encoding='...')
> - ISO-8859-1: converting to UTF-8 and removing
> declare(encoding='ISO-8859-1'), i couldn't really find information on
> a ISO-8859-1 BOM, so to the best of my knowledge it does not exist
>
> it does not deal with any other encodings as of writing, but more can
> be added if needed.

Hi, Hans

I see. I understand the argument.
At least, Japanese character encoding seems not using declare(encoding=...).

Probably, we use zend_encoding implicitly.
If delete zend_encoding, In SJIS (Shift_JIS) probably will occur 5c problem.

For example is below:

$val = "表"; // 表 is 0x955c, script see 0x5c22, therefore, Throw on Parse Error

Please see about 5c problem https://blog.kano.ac/archive/posts/1654_5c-problem/

I would like to maintain backwards compatibility. zend_encoding seems
can't delete.

Regards
Yuya