On Tue, Dec 5, 2023, at 11:06 AM, Derick Rethans wrote:
> Hi!
>
> A while ago I started looking into all the documents (RFCs etc) that we
> have that relate to all sort of policies. From RFCs, to who can vote,
> naming, and security classifications as a result of a discussion with
> the foundations folk.
>
> Now there was another small confusion during a recent vote, we came up
> with the idea to actually go forwards with this, and make all our lives
> easier by having one place where all these documents are located.
>
> Hence I have created a (beta) repository and collected that information:
> https://github.com/php/policies
>
> The contents are copied verbitim from RFCs, without any editing. Some
> RFCs made it into a single file as IMO they belonged together.
>
> I have also created an RFC to establish this location, as changing
> policies and RFCs require an RFC:
> https://wiki.php.net/rfc/policy-repository
>
> The contents are probably not exhaustive, and it is entirely possible
> that it does not include all information. I would therefore be greatful
> if you could have a look at the RFC, the collated documents, and let me
> know whether I missed anything, or whether you are missing something we
> might not even have written down yet.
>
> I am hoping that the discussion to establish this repository is
> straightforwards. Further steps will include: editing the documents so
> that they read as documents, and not copy-pasted content with RFC
> language, and including our existing coding standards.
>

> cheers,
> Derick

Thank you for this, Derick!  I very much support this initiative and look
forward to it.

> Should the historical information in “release process” be moved out of
> release-process to a dedicated file?

I would say yes.  The ideal structure of the document (once edited down) would
be a snapshot of "how things work right now."  Historical alternatives should
either be just git history or a separate non-normaitive set of files.

I would also ask, does this mean future changes to process would be submitted
and reviewed as a PR against this repo, with the RFC for it being mostly a
placeholder for "vote on this PR", with explanation?  I would assume so, but it
would be good to make that explicit.

--Larry Garfield