On Tue, 12 Dec 2023 at 21:00, Robert Landers <landers.rob...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 12, 2023 at 2:04 PM G. P. B. <george.bany...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > GMP supports operator overloading
>
> GMP kinda-sorta-most-of-the-time supports operator overloading.
> Sometimes ... it doesn't. I implemented a field library in PHP (for
> work a couple of years ago) and occasionally, overloading would cast
> things back to float/int and break the math. I don't have access to
> that code, so I don't have any examples readily available (and the
> fact that an extension can do overloading but we can't in user-land is
> a whole different can of worms which made this library ridiculously
> hard to work with -- we rewrote everything in Scala and never looked
> back). Needless to say, if I were to go into a project that required
> GMP, I wouldn't trust the overloading.

I have no idea how _this_ is possible considering GMP will happily throw
type errors left and right even in cases when it shouldn't.
If you encountered this, you should have submitted a bug report.
Because, using a potential bug as an excuse for not doing this is... weird?

I have come around userland operator overloading with the proposal from
Jordan, but considering this hasn't passed it might take a while before
someone gives it a crack at it again.
And it has _always_ been a thing that the engine, and internal extensions,
can do more things than userland.
Especially nonsensical stuff like variadic parameters not at the end...

Gina P. Banyard