Hi, internals!

I would like to start an RFC discussion regarding rounding modes.
https://wiki.php.net/rfc/correctly_name_the_rounding_mode_and_make_it_an_enum

As mentioned previously by Gina on the mailing list [1], there are some issues
with PHP's current rounding mode.
[1] - https://externals.io/message/123126

    • First, the value is just an int, so we need to verify that the value
passed is a valid rounding mode.
    • The second problem is that the behavior of the “up” and “down” modes does
not match the mathematical definition. Especially for non-native speakers, the
different rounding modes might also be more easily confused, compared to a
naming that uses less abstract terms.

To resolve these issues, change the naming to something appropriate and use
Enums instead of int constants.

Please see the RFC for details.

Regards,

Saki