Hi

On 6/25/24 10:41, Stephen Reay wrote:
Like I said, I much prefer the keyword syntax - but I also recognise that
others may have different priorities in terms of supporting older language
versions, which is why I think that aspect is worth consideration (perhaps a
secondary vote, or an informal vote to gauge consensus?), because too many good
RFCs get rejected over small details.

Syntax is absolutely not a small detail. It's the most user-visible part of a language feature that is not just a new part in the standard library. And that is probably the reason why it's the most hotly debated part of any new language feature that is proposed.

As said in my previous email, I strongly oppose inventing new syntax and instead borrow syntax from existing (related) features as much as possible. An example that comes to my mind would be the initial brace-based syntax for the clone-with RFC that has since been replaced by array-style syntax that should be immediately understandable by any PHP programmer. PHP should continue to look and feel like PHP.

Best regards
Tim Düsterhus