On Tue, Jul 9, 2024, at 5:00 PM, Dennis Snell wrote:
> [ lots snipped ]
>
> We’re exploring pure-PHP solutions to these problems in WordPress in attempts
> to improve the reliability and safety of handling HTML. I’d love to hear your
> thoughts and know if anyone is willing to work with me to create an RFC or
> directly propose patches. We’ve created a step function which allows finding
> the next character reference and decoding it separately, enabling some novel
> features like highlighting the character references in source text.
>
> Should I propose an RFC for this?

The missing character references would probably be okay to add via a PR now.

Handling the ambiguous ampersand rules (either through a new flag or new
functions) would need to go through the RFC process. My gut tells me that a new
flag might be the easiest way to get it in, but I haven't looked at the problem
very deeply.

Timing wise, most people are very focused on hitting the deadline for PHP 8.4's
feature freeze, and this is almost certainly too late for that. I would take
the time to prototype solutions, make sure the full scope of the problem is
understood, and look to hit the ground running with an RFC and discussion in
early September.

I'm also not sure what sort of connection may be found with the new HTML5 DOM
features/implementation (https://wiki.php.net/rfc/domdocument_html5_parser).

Thanks.

Jim