On 21 July 2024 17:45:27 BST, Deleu <deleu...@gmail.com> wrote:
>I don't agree with the sentiment of "given the 2 options
>available, we prefer the option where we know we are negatively impacting
>community members consuming token_get_all() in favor of protecting
>imaginary PHP users that would have been adventurous enough to make use of
>comments between `yield` and `from`."

I understand what you're saying, but I think there are more than two groups of
people, and more than two options:

As well as users who have already made use of the feature, we are implicitly
talking about users who will use it in future. If nobody ever wants to use it,
then it makes no difference if we revert or not, and no difference if
CodeSniffer can support it or not. If they do want to use it, and we revert,
they suffer. If they want to use it, and use CodeSniffer, then they will suffer
if CodeSniffer decides it cannot be sensibly handled. Bob's proposed
alternative implementation *might* mean that these users get everything they
want (if JRF and others say they can consume that token stream).

On the other hand, Bob's proposal affects a different set of users: those whose
code contains "parse from" *without* extra comments, which will now emit two
tokens instead of one. They will suffer if tools are not updated to handle this
change.

Reverting now, and *later* implementing the feature a different way will impact
multiple of these groups, just at different times.

Regards,
Rowan Tommins
[IMSoP]