On Aug 23 2024, at 11:49 am, Rowan Tommins [IMSoP] <imsop....@rwec.co.uk> wrote:

> And most users don't object to using a leading backslash, they just (quite
> reasonably) have no idea what impact it has on the ability of the engine to
> optimise their code.

I think this is a misread, and I don't think you can argue that there is a
clear understanding of "most users" here. While I admit I too don't have real
data to back this up, I would be more likely to believe "most users" would
absolutely object to being forced into using a leading backslash and would find
it non-sensical that you must add a backslash for the engine to do the "right
thing" (in this case, optimize their code with a security benefit), vs just
doing the right thing by default.