> > For #2, per Robert Silva's post:
> >
> > "For #2, I believe he is referring to searching LD_LIBRARY_PATH
> > directories for libraries rather than hardcoding /lib everywhere
(which
> > is how its done now)."
>
> Unfortunately it's not that easy from what I remember.
>
> > > with as it is common to specify the install root dir which we've
been
> > > doing for ages.
> >
> > Supplying the install root is fine, but as we've seen, it's not
always
> > right and doesn't work.  For a lib that's installed into /usr/lib64,
> > what's the install root?
>
> /usr of course.

Right, but that's still wrong.  Since lib is hardcoded, it'll be
searching /usr/lib, which is not the place that's to be used.  Thus,
it's not always good enough to just allow the install root dir to be
specified - sometimes, per my #3, a specific directory needs to be used.

> > Hehe, fair enough - let me know if you need another account (this
has
> > SuSE).  How are things looking so far?
>
> AFAIK Joe is going to commit his patch, but we need to "fix" it for
the
> PECL extensions too if applicable.

Ok, sounds good - I'm looking forward to getting this sucker compiled
once and for all :)