I honestly don't really care about the performance side of things, I'd
be very surprised if this sort of calculation is going to be in the top
5 bottlenecks of an application. However, from a development point of
view I do find $a{-1} a much shorter and cleaner way of calculating an
end-of-string offset and would like to see it implemented.