>> Substr_replace() for the purpose of changing one char is like using a
>> tank for a fly swatter, it may work but it is extremely inefficient.
>>
> the example wasn't clear but I stated with substr_replace() there is no
> need
> for ranges in {}.

I like {$s,$l} and/or {$s:$e} for read, but I can see using that kinda
syntax for write getting REALLY messy.  So: -1 on write acces using {,} or
{:} and if it doesn't work for write then making it work for read is
inconsistent so -1 on the whole concept.

Still +1 on $str{$negOffset} though, speed aside, it's readable and cute.

-Sara