>From: "Christian Schneider" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> Terje Slettebø wrote:
> > Those who are experienced enough to "shoot themselves in the foot", but
not
> > experienced enough to aim properly, :) might, however, obfuscate code
with
> > "misuse" of more "advanced" language constructs (variable variables and
> > variable functions comes to mind), but that doesn't mean we should
forbid
> > these features in the language!
>
> You're wrong

We should forbid variable variables and variable functions? That's what I
talked about when we said "that doesn't mean we should forbid these features
in the language".

>, that's exactly one of the things PHP does: Keep the
> language simple by limiting the amount of (syntactic) magic.

Keeping a language simple is not necessary a good thing in itself. C is an
example of a relatively simple language, for example. When we make
applications, there's a certain amount of "essential complexity", and that
complexity has to go somewhere. When we have OO support, and libraries, we
can delegate much of that complexity to the language/library, making our
programs simpler. If the complexity is not in the language or library, it'll
be in the programs. I'd rather have the complexity in the language or
library, so that the programs can be simpler.

Regards,

Terje