I completely agree. This (or any other "public-in-4.4" solution) would
only create an extra branch to maintain for both developers and users;
no one can expect all of the PHP 4.x base to go 4.4, and code with
"public" that "supports php 4 and 5" would actually break in 4.<4 and
still would be:

- unable to use PHP 5
- subject to the other PHP 4/5 issues

Besides, the point of E_STRICT seems to be to _enforce_ best practices
-- and if you care about this matter, considering all members as
"public" is probably defying the concept anyway.

On 6/16/05, Johannes Schlueter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Thursday 16 June 2005 11:27, Sebastian Mendel wrote:
> > > I guess, this will more likely produce an error message like this:
> > >
> > > Parse error: syntax error, unexpected T_PUBLIC, expecting T_STRING in
> > > public.php on line 2
>
> right
>
> > > So I'm strongly against this change. If you want to run PHP4 code in
> > > PHP5, disable E_STRICT.
>
> +1
>
> > id dont know, but isnt there a difference between where the keywords are
> > placed?
>
> No, it's a parser keyword and a keyword can't be used as a function name.
>
> > and if it is so, then this would also be a candidate for
> >
> > "NOTICE: 'public' is a keyword in PHP 5" in php 4.4
>
> No. No "errors" for "forward compatibility".
>
> johannes
>
> --

Nelson Menezes
[EMAIL PROTECTED]