Problem is that some extensions that don't "support" Unicode will still work. Extensions like gd might "almost" work out of the box.

At 08:36 AM 8/24/2005, John Coggeshall wrote:
On Wed, 2005-08-24 at 18:30 +0300, Stanislav Malyshev wrote:

> JC>>Not to hijack the topic, but if we are going to do something like this
> JC>>why not also provide these sorts of flags for things like extensions and
> JC>>thread safety?
>
> I'm not sure I have understood what you were meaning, but we have
> thread_safe and debug flags in extension structure, so I thing the good
> way would be to add one more flag - e.g., unicode_support - to this
> structure, and make ZEND_EXTENSION macro to set it to 0, and new
> ZEND_UNICODE_EXTENSION() to set it to 1. So, by default all extensions
> would not support Unicode. If you want it to support unicode you (if
> needed) fix whatever needs to be fixed and then replace ZEND_EXTENSION
> with ZEND_UNICODE_EXTENSION.

That's basically what I'm saying, I guess maybe this is a PHP 6.0
wishlist sort of thing -- I'd like to see PHP when operating in thread
safety mode be very unhappy loading extensions not flagged thread safe.

John