On Tue, 4 Oct 2005, Christian Schneider wrote:

Two things to consider:
1) If the PHP maintainers are getting sick of BC then it might be better
to break BC than to lose maintainers.

    Well, losing couple of trolls like me is not bad thing, is it? :)
    But yes, if PHP can't evolve, this will happen. Either there will
    be a fork of some sort or a "rogue" release of PHP 6..who knows.
    We haven't decided yet. (any names for the fork are accepted :)

2) On the other hand one should not forget that the amount of PHP4 code
around is much bigger than the size of the PHP source itself. So even if
BC is abandoned you can't simply drop PHP4 altogether (as hinted at in
this thread) without causing a lot of damage.

    Nobody is talking about dropping PHP4. Definately no new features
    will go into PHP 4, but bug fixes are still gonna be committed
    once in a while. And as long as Derick is interested, there propably
    will be even releases! :)

One possibility I see would be to have PHP<x> (insert your favourite
number here) drop compatibility with PHP4  and have some maintainers
work on PHP4 bug fixes and some on PHP6 features/bugs. It's kinda unclear
what would happen to PHP5 - PHP<x-1> though its maintainers would
face the same BC+new-stuff situation we have right now which doesn't
seem to be popular.

    The Plan is to release 5.1 first by Ilia since the original RMs are too
"busy".
    We'll see what happens once we get rid of one of the branches to maintain,
    the PHP_5_0 branch. (outdated, not holding all the fixes, etc.)

    --Jani

--
Give me your money at @ <http://pecl.php.net/wishlist.php/sniper>
Donating money may make me happier and friendlier for a limited period!