It seems that the problem you're encountering could be fixed trivially by moving the initialization of $stuff into the constructor.

However, it's difficult to tell from the provided code whether $stuff is intended as a static member... but if it's not, seems like a very simple fix...

I don't personally know about PHP4 internals, but it would seem that the reason it breaks as-is is that ALL CacheEntry objects initially report to the same (statically created) empty array. So, moving it into the constructor would at least create n empty arrays rather than segfaulting.

Right? Then you wouldn't even need to change your runtime environment (ie PHP version) to solve the problem.

Alan