Alan Pinstein wrote:
> It seems that the problem you're encountering could be fixed  trivially
> by moving the initialization of $stuff into the constructor.
>
> However, it's difficult to tell from the provided code whether $stuff
> is intended as a static member...  but if it's not, seems like a very
> simple fix...
>
> I don't personally know about PHP4 internals, but it would seem that
> the reason it breaks as-is is that ALL CacheEntry objects initially
> report to the same (statically created) empty array. So, moving it  into
> the constructor would at least create n empty arrays rather than
> segfaulting.
>
> Right? Then you wouldn't even need to change your runtime environment
> (ie PHP version) to solve the problem.

The easy way to solve it was to limit the array to less than 64K entries,
which I did before I made my original post. The problem only showed up
because of a bug causing the cache to grow in an unconstrained way. Thanks
for the suggestion, but the reason I started this thread was because I
wanted to make sure that this doesn't happen again, regardless of bad
programming.

Upgrading to PHP 5 is certainly a reasonable solution, it's been on our
wishlist for a while. We will probably drop support for PHP 4 in MediaWiki
1.6 or 1.7, so that we can take advantage of the new features. Upgrading
won't be a trivial task, we're apparently one of the larger PHP
installations in the world, with about 100 servers running PHP, and there's
a number of custom extensions to check as well. Still, it has to be done
some time.

-- Tim Starling