> > How about moving away from using system entities to construct the
> > manual and using Xinclude instead? (See the mysql ref
> manual docbook
> > sources) This would make the base pages independent from
> each other, and loadable into a DOMDocument, which could be
> transformed with xslt.
>
> for what it's worth: my end-user experience of (and that of
> pretty much everyone in php-land I work with/ speak to) is
> that the mysql docs are a dog to work with and the the php
> docs are in comparison a delight.

I'm not sure what you mean by end-user experience. Xinclude is just another
mechanism for including a file in xml.

Livedocs currently has todo a fair bit of work dealing with entities. Making
each of the .xml files standalone would simplify it a
lot.

I did attempt to write a custom user stream that injected entity definitions
into an xml file, so you could load a raw page of the
manual directly into a DOMDocument and apply a xsl transform. Didn't have
enough time/patience to get it working tho :)

Jared