Andi Gutmans wrote:
[snip]
> an early point and we should make the right decision now. I'd prefer that
> from now on going forward we prefix all new classes with Php. In PHP 6, once

This is a good solution.  3 extra characters for each class have not
hurt spl users (no reports of SPL-related carpal tunnel syndrome yet,
right? :).  It will make it simple to figure out whether a class is
internal (does it start with "Php?") and will eliminate all future
debate.  I have no qualms renaming the PEAR packages that I maintain
that start with PHP_ if this decision is made.

In terms of PEAR, please stop discussing PEAR in such a negative light
when it comes to this decision of class naming.  The internal decision
has nothing to do with PEAR, and we who bust our ass maintaining and
managing PEAR do not force anything on you, and more to the point,
*cannot* force anything.

The truth is that PEAR is the *only* large code project using PHP that
pays any attention to the decisions on the internals list, and so we
(independently) offer opinions here occasionally.  There are several
ways of handling this problem, but we first need to know what the hell
we can do to avoid it in the future.

For several years now PEAR has forced prefixing (since about 2003) of
all new proposals.  What we haven't done is forced all existing users to
rename their classes.

Please, just make a clear decision, stick to it, and tell us what it is,
we will adapt our coding standards to whatever is decided.

Either:

1) internals declares all top-level classes, use an unprefixed name (no
_) at your own risk
2) internals grabs PHP or Php as a prefix.

Choose.

Greg