Hi,

 I invested about half an hour this morning to refactor bench.php. It now
 starts a new PHP process for each benchmark and uses microtime(true) and
 memory_get_peak_usage() to measure benchmark data.

 Have a look at

   - http://phpfi.com/208939

     This is the main script.

   - http://phpfi.com/208937

     These are the iterators used by the main script.

   - http://phpfi.com/208935

     This code is shared between the benchmark scripts.

   - http://phpfi.com/208941

     This is an example of a benchmark script.

 Here is an example output:

   [EMAIL PROTECTED] benchmark % php run.php
   Benchmark           Time     Peak Memory Usage
   ackermann           3.067452 715080
   mandel              2.242472 127840
   mandel2             2.185040 123448
   simple              1.031363 117184
   simplecall          3.849651 115528
   simpleucall         4.226199 116968
   simpleudcall        4.394062 117176

 Note that I have not yet ported all benchmarks from bench.php.

 At this point I would like to know whether or not people are interested
 in this. No point in working on this if nobody cares, right? :-)

 Best,
Sebastian

--
Sebastian Bergmann                          http://sebastian-bergmann.de/
GnuPG Key: 0xB85B5D69 / 27A7 2B14 09E4 98CD 6277 0E5B 6867 C514 B85B 5D69