It means you can run a phar file. How is that so hard to understand.

It is not hard to understand. What seems to be hard to understand is that the scenario you describe is by no way the only scenario PHP files run in. Not all applications are single entry point and of those that are, not all applications are suitable to work in non-filesystem environment. Thus using phar in applications not specifically designed for it and in environments which presume files are in filesystem might prove harder than some think.

a war or jar or whatever crap doesn't make java faster either. But hey it
would be a nice trick to turn PHP evenmore into Java so you should promote
it.

If it was meant as some kind of a jab I'm afraid it was lost on me, I don't understand how it is relevant to anything, sorry. :)

Strange, pecl lists three stable versions since end of march:
http://pecl.php.net/package/phar

I guess you should fix the manual then :)

Once again, that is in most cases no option at all.

How it's no option in most cases? And while we are at it, what is the "most cases" anyway? Is that most PHP deployments including millions of hosting clones all alike or most people supposed to use packaged applications (as opposed to writing own PHP scripts) or most people running complex production environments (as opposed to just playing with some private site) or most of what?
--
Stanislav Malyshev, Zend Products Engineer
[EMAIL PROTECTED]  http://www.zend.com/