For my purposes, this is ok. Will it be added to 4.x too?

----- Original Message ----- From: "Andrei Zmievski" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Tomas Kuliavas" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Cc: "Jared Williams" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>; <internals@lists.php.net>
Sent: Tuesday, May 22, 2007 8:43 PM
Subject: Re: [PHP-DEV] PHP Unicode extension in PHP6

The 'b' prefix is available in PHP 5.2, exactly for this purpose. It just doesn't do anything.

-Andrei

On May 22, 2007, at 10:52 AM, Tomas Kuliavas wrote:

Recent versions of PHP5, has a binary string introducer.

echo strlen(b"\xC4\x85");

I have already said to Stefan. It is not an option. I need backwards
compatibility. If older PHP versions fail with E_PARSE errors, I can't use
it.

I can't maintain two different library versions, because issue affect lots
of functions. Currently I can only stop script execution, if
unicode.semantics=on is detected. Main complain is the fact that  scripts
can't control mbstring.func_overload and unicode.semantics. Only  script
writters know, if their code depends on overloading or unicode syntax. End
users might be unable to change settings in PHP_INI_PERDIR.

Thanks to all for feedback.

--
Tomas

Internal Virus Database is out-of-date.