>> Hoepfully this project will learn something with the previuos
>> experiences ( PHP5 adoption anyone? ) and think in a reasoanble
>> backward compatibility policy.
>
> This is a different story: From what I'm reading Unicode support is for
> many people way more interesting than many things introduced with PHP 5.
> ("syntactical sugar")
>
> And another thing: I'm currently creating some statistics about PHP
> versions used to run average applications since these statistics from
> netcraft pinging hosts are nice but they don't show which of these hosts
> are really used and where new software is being installed. Currently my
> statistics aren't really significant but show PHP 5 usage > 60% (PHP 5.2
> is around 50% of all used versions) with an average application - I'll
> post all information about that once I trust the statistics more (more
> data...)

München has been selected for nuclear test site. There are only 1332650
people in this town. It is less than 0.03% of the world's population.
Please relocate in next 24 hours. :)

You will like decisions based on statistics only when you are on the right
side of statistics table.

PHP 5.x has some nice features, but these features can't justify increase
in minimal PHP requirements.

--
Tomas