On 7/9/07, Derick Rethans <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
On Fri, 6 Jul 2007, Andi Gutmans wrote:

> I'd suggest something close to what Rasmus suggested:
> a) We make a clear statement on PHP.net that at the end of the year we
> plan to discontinue bug fixes for PHP 4 except for security fixes.
> b) We will discontinue supporting PHP 4 on 8/8/8 (because it sounds good
> and gives people about a year).

The attached patch mentions the above. As you can see, the idea is to
release this  on the 13th, 3 years after php 5 was released for this
first time.

First thanks for the patch!

This paragraph is confusing and somehow made my point:

+<p>
+  Hereby the PHP development team announces that support for PHP 4 will
+  continue until the end of this year only. From 2007-12-31 there will be no
+  more releases of PHP 4.4, besides important security releases. Security
+  releases will continue until 2008-08-08 after which PHP 4.4 will no longer be
+  supported officially. Please use the rest of this year to make your
+  application suitable to run on PHP 5.
+</p>

Either we support it or we don't. That means we support it for
security problems only (all non sec bugs reported in php4 will be
bogused or move to php5+ if still present). That also means we will
have security release only until 2008-08-08.

I know that it is what this paragraph says but it could be clearer.
Something like:
- From 2008-01-01, only security fixes will be fixed (btw, there is no
"unimportant" security issue)
- From 2008-08-08, PHP4 is dead, officially and physically

Is there a way to tell something like that in a non confusing way?
There is no need to hide the facts behind some form of kindness :-)

hth

Cheers,
--Pierre