See below:

It's not the same. Not giving our users enough heads-up to plan, find
the resources, migrate, test and redeploy is what Microsoft does to its
users (ok so they do give some time but it's always too early and
upgrade path is often much harder). I think we owe it to our users to be
more friendly. For this time period they will require important bug
fixes especially security fixes so I think it ends up being good for
all.
Also don't forget once we make a statement like this, many people will
start planning their migration right away.

>   > I also suggest to move PHP 4 downloads to the museum. I
> suggest though
> > to make a clear visible link from php.net/downloads.php to
> the museum
> > and make a clear statement that PHP 4 has moved (I am sure
> there are
> > still many who look for it for application compatibiity reasons).
>
> This to be done immediately?

Yes, I think we should do this immediately and be sure to make it clear
where to get PHP 4 (clear message with clear visible link). But it will
still "feel" 2nd rate to users.

Andi