I didn't get any further, no :(. The decision of whether to merge the nowdocs patch is out of my hands now, since I don't have source karma. However, since the main thing standing in the way of its implementation was concern over the usefulness, your comment is very helpful, and I'd like to open the topic for discussion again on the list, if no one out there has any objection :)

I think we can have it in HEAD and maybe in 5.3 - though it raises questions about compatibility (code not parsing in certain PHP versions and parsing in others might be a problem). Not sure if <<<~ is the best syntax - it's definitely not obvious, maybe we could think of something better.
[EMAIL PROTECTED]   http://www.zend.com/
(408)253-8829   MSN: [EMAIL PROTECTED]